Hillyard, Washington was a town in Spokane County, Washington which existed as a separate town between 1892 and 1924.
The town came about due to the Great Northern Railway and was named for James J. Hill, then-head of the railroad. Between 1904 and 1912, many of the town’s houses were built, to house railroad workers working in the local yard. Hillyard was the home of the Great Northern’s famed shops where locomotives were manufactured, repaired, and refurbished. At the time, the Hillyard shop was the largest in the nation.
In 1924, Hillyard was officially annexed by neighboring Spokane.